Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to saving and/or sharing given web content on a server administered by a website hosting supplier. There are various categories of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's have a glance at these. Doing so, you can elect what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to have a blog, mail accounts, or to share files with mates and associates.
- File hosting: a service distributed by some providers, which allows you to share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a record of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage packages are frequently supported by displaying ads by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a particular stretch of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file storage account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally improper interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would distribute the tasks at hand between separate sets of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various website hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; certain providers provide a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting brand is suitable if you want to share an enormous quantity of pictures with pals or colleagues since the solution is commonly free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to managing your mailbox accounts. Some distributors offer web space hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you desire to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to have a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a few video clips and several hundred web site viewers, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting resources. Embedding the video file will allow you to own as many videos as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to have a site. To a certain degree, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting sorts since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and email address accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Gigabit Network Solutions, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one location. There may be limits based on the kind of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for particular web content solely.